Thursday, May 24, 2012

From Sahagún to El Burgo Raneros, Day 19, 18km

Was thinking today that this Camino is not so much about matter (your body), although a fit body would be a bonus! It's not about mind (sometimes I find it is my worst enemy, bringing focus to and magnification of the pain and allows negative thoughts of 'I can't go on' swirl around, but rather it is about 'self' over mind and matter. This 'self' can recognise the negative thoughts and stop them, it can feel whether the body has really had enough, it is the source of the strength that I keeps me going here. Mind you, am not sure where the strength here comes from, but it is there.

Today was a good day. Sylvia and I slept in and left around 8am. We found a coffee shop and started the day on a pastry and a cup of tea - this is Spain's version of breakfast, and I am not complaining! I walked on ahead, knowing I would be a little slower, while Sylvia had to sort out some Visa card problems at a bank. I walked around 8km in silence and really enjoyed setting my own rhythm. I guess when you walk with someone else, both of you compensate your own pace and find a 'middle ground'. Sylvia's pace is certainly faster than mine!

She caught up to me as I stood by a memorial of a pilgrim would had died in 1998. They say that the most common cause of death on the camino is car accidents. Pilgrims seem to sometimes take 'ownership' of the road and walk in the middle of it. I guess in the quiet towns you can do this, then it is a shock when you hit a town that is busy. The cars here fly around the tight, blind corners as well. I can see how it can happen. There is also a growing number of cyclists who die too due to loss of balance on the loose gravel. It's a sad and solemn reminder to take care and be thankful that a sore leg is the most I have suffered.

During my 8km stretch alone, I schemed for the next leg. Am not sure if you remember an earlier post about a Frenchman, Michel, I had met. He had suggested that one of the most amazing ways to experience the Camino is by starlight. I thought about the fact that we were taking a slow day today and would have plenty of rest, I checked the terrain for tomorrow and it is flat and runs beside a road for most of it. The sky is clear today - we are experiencing temperatures is the mid-30's by midday so a walk mostly at night would be a great way to go. I carefully unfolded my plan to Sylvia when we caught up. She and I are keen! So tomorrow, when most of you are having your morning coffees around 10am, I will be up and walking in pitch black night! (hopefully with a few stars!) I think my plan will work... Fingers crossed!

Today, in comparison to other days, has been wonderfully uneventful! So I will leave it as a short one for you! :)

Ps Leg is feeling ok... Taking my pills and resting it at every opportunity. For all my 'mums' out there, it is currently elevated with ice!

1 comment: