Saturday, May 12, 2012

From Puente la Reina to Villatuerta, Day 7, 19km

Today was hot! Hotter than yesterday... Sweating from my eye balls hot!

Leaving Puenta la Reina was beautiful... Gorgeous city. I crossed a 13th century bridge and was on my way for day 5 of the camino.

Anyways, back a few steps! Yesterday afternoon I found a group of 4 dutchies sitting in a beer garden. I sat down and 3 of them left to find cigarettes. I spoke to Marcel for an hour or so over a beer about life, the camino, spirituality and what walking means for him... He taught me a little about holland and I taught him about the map of Tassie! I was dubbed their queen when google proved my theory right about orange carrots be grown by the Dutch to honor William of Orange. I had an amazing buffet dinner with them at Hotel Jakues with fish and beef and salads! They put me at the head of their table and fed me red wine! I obliged! They were an awesome group and made my hard day manageable!

Sleeping last night was tough... We were beneath the hotel and it was hot with no air flow... Snoring, creaky beds and heat made for a light sleep!

This morning one of the dutchies, Peter, gave me a special blister cover. I started out very sore today. My legs, feet... It was going to be a long day.

I met with my Canadian duo again and we travelled a lot of way together...this was lovely. Helped get me along with my pain by talking and taking a few rest stops that included shoes off moments.

I also walked with a beautiful girl from Washington state, Autumn. She was here on the camino with a friend. Her friend had her money and passport and camera stolen the night before despite her keeping it up near her face. I guess this is a risk for everyone! Her friend was in tears today so Autumn had left her to walk her own way... I think sometimes we all need this on this walk. Her main concern was that the money and camera belonged to her partner!

Today's walk took me alone many dirt tracks past vineyards, fields of canola, fields of wheat, small towns that have houses sprinkled on the top like snow and roads that wind their way down. The sun was harsh... And in anticipation of this I brought I hat! Best and dorkiest investment I have ever made!

We pass under many main roads through tunnels and here the pilgrims seem to gather in the cool damp shade. Day 5 has encouraged out a few scrunched up faces in pain and dehydration.

The Albergue I am staying in is just beautiful! They are amazingly detailed tiles leading up to the bed rooms and and showers... The shower head was as big as a dinner plate! Loving it here! Had a shower and got into a dress! I plan on attended the pilgrim mass tonight (they are incredible!) then to a bar for dinner (to balance it up spiritually!).

I must admit, I had a moment on the camino today. I was thinking about the pain, my friends, Esther, then pulling Esther into bed with me and holding her. I feel so far away from it all. I guess today I felt very alone in my world. So I cried - a mini meltdown! This is ok, and I expected it at some point... And there are probably more to come.

After my shower, I did some
washing... This was actually relaxing to stand at a basin outside and hand washing my clothes. Yes, I am starting to 'smell the roses'... Finally.

I have ended today with much more energy than I have been... :) feeling the camino hippy emerging... I am not walking as far as I should be, but I need to listen to my body... If I have to bus to Santiago to make it, then so be it.

Anyway... Gigi is just rubbing my feet... Heaven... Day 5 ya termindao!

No comments:

Post a Comment