Friday, May 25, 2012

From El Burgo Ranero to Mansilla de las Mulas, Day 20, 19km

Today is a bit of an early post, but I currently have some time on my hands so I thought I would update and de-brief.

Last night Sylvia and I ate dinner and proceeded to bed around 9pm to get an early one to prepare of our starlit journey.

There was an American family staying in our Albergue. You know those people who take up so much space in a room, even though their physical presence isn't that much? That's what the American wife did! It took a while to get to sleep based on her loud conversations, her obnoxious bashing on a door that she had locked herself behind, and just her in general walking around and getting ready for bed!

I woke at around 1am - it was too early, my bed was so warm, I was so cosy. I woke at 2am - it was too early, my bed was so warm, I was so cosy. I woke at 2:50am - it was time, my bed was so warm, I was so cosy. Sylvia and I both sat up and looked at each other. "You still want to do this?", she asked in a sleepy 'ready to settle back down' sort of voice. "Yes" I replied (sounding much the same), "This will be our last opportunity."

We packed silently and left around 3:20am. The moon was no where to be seen, and although the stars were out in full force, our light was limited. The gravel Camino path wound beside a narrow country road. We stuck to the road, using the white lines in the middle to guide us. This was a blessing! Walking on the road meant we needn't worry about loose rocks and our foot placement. More concentrating on the amazing scene around us.

There were a few noises in the trees that lined the path, but apart from that, only the sounds were passing trains, distant frogs, our footsteps in unison and my pole tapping along in rhythm. It was lovely. The road was still warm from the previous day's relentless sun - and I don't use the term 'relentless' lightly either! It was still beating a fair heat at 9pm - like sun bathing type heat!

During the walk, 6 shooting stars flew through the silent sky, a silhouette of a deer disappeared over a hill against the glow of a distant town, I managed to impale myself with my walking pole (am expecting a bruise in an awkward area), and I stood still and watched the sun rise - it was beautiful.

We arrived at our destination town around 8am. Sylvia and I found a café and it was decided here. Sylvia would continue to walk on to León and I would stay here. If I do truly listen to my body, I need to rest. I don't want to! I want to continue with my dear Camino friend, but I just can't. We walked with each other as far as we could. Our goodbye was sweet, but short. I walked away with a few deep breaths, determined not to cry - you will all be happy and surprised to here that I didn't! For once!

I found an Albergue and met up with the Australian couple who were packing up to leave. I got their stamp of approval on the place, so I have made myself at home here.

I will go and venture out for enjoy this little ancient Roman built city in the beautiful sunshine... alone... once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment