Tuesday, June 19, 2012

From St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles, Day 3 (Day 1 on Camino!), 27km

Before I begin this post, i just want to apologise for the spelling and grammar errors! Fatigue can do that to you!

So, another confession to make! I actually walked the whole pyrenees today. 27km for steep up and steep down - and I am yet to decide what I like most! There were a few reasons for this... The main one is that it is suppose to rain tomorrow so I wanted to be out of the mountains by then... The other was because I arrived at my accommodation at 11am... No one was there and I am not patient at the best of times! So I did it! I am not going to lie.. There were times when I just felt like crying, and even now, laying in bed, I feel sore and needing a day of recovery tomorrow! - which I can't have because they kick you out by 830am! So my first day as a pilgrim has concluded!

The weather today is apparently the best they have seen in a while... It was warm and sunny! I went to the pilgrims office and Bernard was working there! He gave me my credential and my shell and away I went!

I have met couple of vocal Canadians - they're all the same! (haha Em!) and some Aussies! I got away at around 930am and arrived at Roncesvalles just as the church bell rang for 6pm! This albergue is amazing! 4 stories tall and after my struggle on the mountain, they have kindly placed me on the 3rd floor, bless their cotton socks!

I laid on my bed and fell asleep! I woke with 15mins until the pilgrim blessing at the church - I have to admit, I was torn between this and eating dinner! I was so hungry! The mass was amazing though! Gregorian chant like singing by two priests In the most incredibly beautiful church! Took a photo, but didn't do it any justice!

After this I went to a local restaurant / bar. I paid €3.50 for a glass of vino, some soup and bread! And shared the company of wilfred - a German cyclist!

Back at the albergue, they have turned out the lights! Yes, I have a 10pm curfew each night! So, it is time for me to settle in and rest my poor aching bones! :)

- buenos noches

3 comments:

  1. A great adventure already! I'm going to ride this trail one day on a Peugeot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as it has plenty of suspension and better knees than I!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be on the handlebars as the navigator... So bring a good cushion! Haha.

    ReplyDelete